Image ID
DN-0083223
Headline
Policemen holding back a crowd standing on a sidewalk after a cave-in at Goldblatt Bros. Department Store
Date Depicted
circa May 9, 1927
Date Created
circa May 9, 1927
Creator
Chicago Daily News, Inc.
Creator Role
photographer
Artwork/Object Depicted
glass negatives
Copyright Notice
© Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved.
Credit Line
DN-0083223, Chicago Sun-Times/Chicago Daily News collection, Chicago Historical Society
Inventory Number
1960.784
Storage Location
Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago History Museum
Horizon Bib. No.
129598
Max Pixels - Height
398
Max Pixels - Width
500
KEYWORDS




Chicago (Ill.)--1920-1929.--lctgm
Dry plate negatives.--gmgpc
Gelatin dry plate negatives.--aat


United StatesIllinoisCook CountyChicago.
policemen holding back a crowd standing on a sidewalk after a cave in at goldblatt bros department store

Image of policemen holding back a large crowd of adults and children standing on a sidewalk after a cave-in at Goldblatt' Bros. Department Store, located in the West Town community area of Chicago, Illinois. The view is looking east on West Chicago Avenue. The store collapsed on May 9, 1927 due to weakening from nearby excavation work. Due to early warnings, everyone escaped the building and there were no fatalities. The store was located at 1617 (now 1909-1935) West Chicago Avenue. It was the first store in the chain and was designed by Alfred S. Alschuler and was built in 1921-1922. It was rebuilt after the collapse and became a Chicago Landmark on April 1, 1998.

Image of policemen holding back a large crowd of adults and children standing on a sidewalk after a cave-in at Goldblatt' Bros. Department Store, located in the West Town community area of Chicago, Illinois. The view is looking east on West Chicago Avenue. The store collapsed on May 9, 1927 due to weakening from nearby excavation work. Due to early warnings, everyone escaped the building and there were no fatalities. The store was located at 1617 (now 1909-1935) West Chicago Avenue. It was the first store in the chain and was designed by Alfred S. Alschuler and was built in 1921-1922. It was rebuilt after the collapse and became a Chicago Landmark on April 1, 1998.