Image ID
DN-0083330
Headline
Men standing on debris after a cave-in at Goldblatt Bros. Department Store
Date Depicted
circa May 9, 1927
Date Created
circa May 9, 1927
Creator
Chicago Daily News, Inc.
Creator Role
photographer
Artwork/Object Depicted
glass negatives
Copyright Notice
© Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved.
Credit Line
DN-0083330, Chicago Sun-Times/Chicago Daily News collection, Chicago Historical Society
Inventory Number
1960.784
Storage Location
Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago History Museum
Horizon Bib. No.
129703
Max Pixels - Height
397
Max Pixels - Width
500
KEYWORDS




Chicago (Ill.)--1920-1929.--lctgm
Dry plate negatives.--gmgpc
Gelatin dry plate negatives.--aat


United StatesIllinoisCook CountyChicago.
men standing on debris after a cave in at goldblatt bros department store

View of men standing atop debris after a cave-in at Goldblatt Bros. Department Store, located in the West Town community area of Chicago, Illinois. Policemen are standing by an automobile in the foreground. Buildings, including a church, are visible in the background. The store collapsed on May 9, 1927 due to weakening from nearby excavation work. Due to early warnings, everyone escaped the building and there were no fatalities. The store was located at 1617 (now 1909-1935) West Chicago Avenue. It was the first store in the chain and was designed by Alfred S. Alschuler and was built in 1921-1922. It was rebuilt after the collapse and became a Chicago Landmark on April 1, 1998.

View of men standing atop debris after a cave-in at Goldblatt Bros. Department Store, located in the West Town community area of Chicago, Illinois. Policemen are standing by an automobile in the foreground. Buildings, including a church, are visible in the background. The store collapsed on May 9, 1927 due to weakening from nearby excavation work. Due to early warnings, everyone escaped the building and there were no fatalities. The store was located at 1617 (now 1909-1935) West Chicago Avenue. It was the first store in the chain and was designed by Alfred S. Alschuler and was built in 1921-1922. It was rebuilt after the collapse and became a Chicago Landmark on April 1, 1998.