Image ID
ICHi-052647
Headline
Bronze Abraham Lincoln's left hand
Date Depicted
1860
Date Created
1886
Creator
Volk, Leonard Wells, 1828-1895
Creator Role
artist
Artwork/Object Depicted
sculptures (visual works)
Copyright Notice
© Chicago Historical Society, published on or before 2013, all rights reserved.
Credit Line
Chicago History Museum, ICHi-052647
Inventory Number
1913.76a
Storage Location
P&S
Funding Note
John and Jeanne Rowe Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln Collection, patron
Max Pixels - Height
2704
Max Pixels - Width
4064
KEYWORDS
LN0064
Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
commemorations
Saint-Gaudens, Augustus
sculptors
sculptures
Volk, Leonard Wells, 1828-1895
Presidents
1913.76a
i052647
i52647
ICHi-52647
bronze abraham lincolns left hand

View of bronze of Abraham Lincoln's left hand. This was made from original plaster molds taken of Lincoln's face and hands by the Chicago sculptor Leonard Wells Volk (1828-1895) in 1860. In 1886, Volk's friend, sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, initiated a fund-raising campaign to purchase the casts for the National Museum (later known as the Smithsonian Institution). Plaster copies sold for fifty dollars, while bronze copies cost eighty-five dollars.

View of bronze of Abraham Lincoln's left hand. This was made from original plaster molds taken of Lincoln's face and hands by the Chicago sculptor Leonard Wells Volk (1828-1895) in 1860. In 1886, Volk's friend, sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, initiated a fund-raising campaign to purchase the casts for the National Museum (later known as the Smithsonian Institution). Plaster copies sold for fifty dollars, while bronze copies cost eighty-five dollars.

11/4/2008