Image ID
DN-0010823
Headline
Federal Building at the Century of Progress World's Fair, 1933-1934
Date Depicted
1933
Date Created
1933
Creator
Chicago Daily News, Inc.
Creator Role
photographer
Artwork/Object Depicted
glass negatives
Copyright Notice
© Chicago Historical Society, published on or before 2015, all rights reserved
Credit Line
DN-0010823, Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago History Museum
Inventory Number
1960.784
Storage Location
Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago History Museum
Acquisition Source
Gift of Field Enterprises, Inc.
Max Pixels - Height
2751
Max Pixels - Width
3932
KEYWORDS
Federal Building
Meigs Field
United States Government Building
dn-0010823
northerly island
Chicago (Ill.)
Century of Progress International Exposition (1933-1934 : Chicago, Ill.)
world's fairs
1960.784
Chicago Daily News, Inc.
DN-0010823.tif
Federal Building (Century of Progress International Exposition, 1933-1934, Chicago, Ill.)
Building construction
Illinois
Chicago
1930-1939
Exhibition buildings
Near South Side (Chicago, Ill.)
Exterior views
Dry plate negatives
Gelatin dry plate negatives
attractions
grounds
exhibitions
fairs
construction
federal building at the century of progress worlds fair 1933 1934

Exterior view, from the South-West, of the United States Government Building, or Federal Building, and part of the States Group, both under construction before the opening of Chicago's Century of Progress International Exposition of 1933-1934. The buildings were located on Northerly Island, where, more recently, Meigs Field was located until its demolition in 2003. The gold dome of the Federal Building and its three fluted towers representing the three branches of the U.S. Government are clearly visible in this image, as is most of the northern half of the V-shaped states group building. Architects for the buildings were Edward H. Bennett and Arthur Brown, Jr.

Exterior view, from the South-West, of the United States Government Building, or Federal Building, and part of the States Group, both under construction before the opening of Chicago's Century of Progress International Exposition of 1933-1934. The buildings were located on Northerly Island, where, more recently, Meigs Field was located until its demolition in 2003. The gold dome of the Federal Building and its three fluted towers representing the three branches of the U.S. Government are clearly visible in this image, as is most of the northern half of the V-shaped states group building. Architects for the buildings were Edward H. Bennett and Arthur Brown, Jr.

USA

4/13/2011